Mold Removal

People react to mold whether it is living or dead. As a result, even if your mold is no longer growing it must be removed.

While some people might think that it's no big deal to clean up a little mildew, many experts indicate that you should be taking steps to protect your health while cleaning up any kind of mold. Recommended are masks or respirators that will filter out mold spores from the air you breathe.


Are you only worried about your lungs in regards to mold? Experts recommend that you wear eye protection, rubber gloves and clothing that can be immediately laundered.

Cleaning should proceed carefully. Be sure to dampen moldy materials before removal to minimize the number of airborne mold spores.

Mold can be removed from hard surfaces such as hard plastic, glass, metal and counter tops by scrubbing with a non-ammonia soap or detergent. You can also purchase specific cleaning products that will remove mold. Check the label when you purchase these products for any product-specific usage warnings.
Keep in mind that it is impossible to completely remove mold from porous surfaces. Therefore, materials such as paper, Sheetrock (drywall) and carpet padding should be removed and discarded.

Do you have mold on structural woodwork in your basement? Scrubbing may not completely remove mold from surfaces such as wall studs, so it may need to be removed by sanding. Wear personal protective gear and isolate the work area from the rest of the home. You can isolate the area with plastic sheeting, but it must stretch from floor to ceiling. Also be sure to seal ductwork.

After the mold is removed, disinfect the area using a bleach and water solution or another disinfectant. The amount of bleach recommended per gallon of water varies considerably, depending on the type of surface. A clean surface requires less bleach than a dirty surface. A solution of cup bleach to 1 gallon of water should be adequate for well-cleaned surfaces where the mold has visibly been removed. The surface must remain wet for about 15 minutes to allow the solution to disinfect. Concentrations as high as 1 cups of bleach per gallon of water are recommended for surfaces that could not be thoroughly cleaned. Provide adequate ventilation during disinfecting and wear rubber gloves.

Finally, rinse the entire area with clean water, and then rapidly dry the surfaces. Use fans and dehumidifiers or natural ventilation that exchanges inside air with outside air for effective mold reduction.

Advertiser Links for Mold Removal [what's this?]

Search for allergy products

Allergy NewsAllergy Product ReviewsAir FiltersAir PurifiersAsthma Respiratory CareCarpet CleaningCleaning ProductsDehumidifiersDust MitesFood AllergiesHayfeverHumidifiersMoldBlack Mold or MildewMold TestingMold PreventionMold RemovalPersonal Care for AllergiesPet Allergy ProductsSinus ProblemsSkin AllergiesVacuum CleanersAllergy Relief ProductsGlossary FAQ