How to Use Adult Spacers
The following instructions are for general use. Always check the package insert on your spacer before using it.
- Sit up straight or stand up. Lift your chin to open your airway as much as possible.
- Remove the cap from the mouthpiece of the inhaler. Be sure to shake the inhaler vigorously to ensure that the medication is ready and the dosage will be correct.
- As a precaution, make sure your inhaler is working if you haven't used the inhaler for some time, or it is the first time you have used the inhaler. You can do this by spraying it into the air first to check that it works.
- Insert the inhaler mouthpiece into the hole in the end of the spacer. Be sure that it fits snugly.
- Take some deep breaths and then put your mouth around the spacer mouthpiece. Do not bite it. Make a seal between your lips and the mouthpiece.
- Press down on the inhaler to spray just one puff of medicine into the spacer.
- Breathe in slowly and deeply. Then, hold your breath for 10 seconds or as long as is comfortably possible.
- Breathe out. Then, breathe in deeply again through the mouthpiece of the spacer and hold your breath. You should take two deep-held breaths from the spacer for each puff of your inhaler.
- If you need another dose, wait about 30 seconds (or as specified by your doctor). Shake your inhaler again and repeat steps 4 to 8.
Be sure not to spray more than one puff at a time into the spacer. While you might think that this would deliver more medicine in a single dose, it actually makes the droplets in the mist stick together and to the sides of the spacer. In fact, you actually breathe in a smaller dose.